Monday, October 1, 2018

Sleeping in Joseph Smith's great-great-granddaughter's bed

I've slept in bunkhouse with the other cowboys and on a shelf next to an Alaska seiner's 646 diesel engine.   Somewhere in Southeast Asia I slept through Easter.   I sleep next to an artillery gun that shot 70 pound high explosive bullets.  You know you're tired when you can sleep through a battle when they're firing that big old sucker.  

For the longest time I slept in the Joseph Smith's great-great-granddaughter's bed.   That's right the Prophet Joseph Smith.   It was back in Independence, Missouri, where the various Mormon factions were squabbling over who owned the patch of land where Jesus Christ was coming back.   There may have been a lot more greats involved ... she was a gorgeous young thing.   Now that I'm married to a beautiful and smart women,  I have to say I do not regret that it wasn't a package deal.   In fact, when Ms. Smith and her husband split,  all I got was a mattress, which was perfectly functional as far as I was concerned and a lot more comfortable than the shelf next to the 646 diesel.