Sunday, August 19, 2018

Lightning at Yaqui Point

It took awhile to make up my mind, but when I did I didn't want the love of my life to feel cheated.

What to do?  There were complications.   Just go down to the courthouse and see the justice of the peace?

The Grand Canyon's only a few hours away.  I called them to see if we could get married there.

Sorry, sir, we don't do weddings ... but the justice of the peace from Williams does and he comes up here a few times a week.  Why don't you call him.

Hi, this is Jim.  My gal and I'd like to get married at the Grand Canyon can you help?

Sure.   You're in luck.   I'm scheduled for a wedding at Yaqui Point overlooking the Canyon on Friday.   I'll do you when I'm finished with the first couple.

My gal calls her friend and she and her husband volunteer to go and be witnesses.   Friday rolls around and sure enough there's a justice of the peace hanging around Yaqui Point waiting for us to show up.

Pictures.   We're posing with the JP and our friends keep saying back up, back up, so they can get everyone into the camera's field of view.

Image result for yaki point grand canyon

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!    The JP's wife screams.   He's gotten a little too close to the edge of the canyon. It is ... a long ... long way ... down to the bottom ... from the edge of Yaqui Point.

Things go well enough from there.   Then the clouds start rolling in predictable in the Arizona high country when the sun gets tired of heating things up and the storm clouds take over.

Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife.

CRACK flashed the lighting.  BOOM went the thunder. 

Related image

Yes.

Afterwards we sat on the porch of the El Tovar hotel overlooking the canyon and drank champagne.  El Tovar, the crown jewel of National Park lodges, built by Fred Harvey, a cross between a Swiss chalet and a Norwegian Villa, out of Arizona limestone and Oregon pine.

Image result for el tovar

Image result for el tovar