Saturday, June 13, 2015

Tugboat Annie and the Condom Factory



There really was a Tugboat Annie and more than one.  Ours was a friend of my father's Long Beach neighbor, Alice Murtha.  Annie was a big, rough cigar smoking woman who was a tugboat captain in New York harbor. 

One afternoon, while visiting Alice, my young father let out that he was looking for a job.  The mistake was doing this in the presence of Annie.  Maybe he wanted to work on Annie's tugboat.  Ever helpful Annie said she knew a man who'd give young Jim a job.  She gave him a name, an address, the Acme Rubber Co., and a note of introduction.

Innocently, young Jim showed up at Acme for a job interview.  The owner was very polite and said he'd love to hire my father... I can tell you're a very nice young man ... but are you really sure you want to work here?   This is what we make.  The owner pulled a condom out of his desk drawer.  Not long removed from Regis Catholic High School and being an alter boy, my father turned red with embarrassment.  He couldn't speak.  The man said, I understand, son.   Annie was having some cruel fun with you.  I'm sorry.