Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Dragon Drives a Caprice

My dad drove a junker.  Forever.  It was an old blue Chevy Caprice, one headlight dangling from its wires where the front bumper was still smashed in from an accident.  One visit home I borrowed it to go to a restaurant and upon leaving the restaurant discovered the car no longer went in reverse.  I had to put the car in neutral, get out, get in front and push the thing out of its parking space.  Got home:  Dad, you need a new car.  If money's a problem, I'll buy you one.  No, no, Son.  I love that car.  It's got another 100,000 miles on it.  How do you park the thing, Father?   Oh, I just pull into parking spots where it rolls out downhill or where you can drive straight ahead out the other side.

After Dad died, I sold it to the guy down the street for a dollar.  He was a cop and happy to have it since the cops had a garage that would fix up the junkers to run little better for cheap.  The cops in his precinct liked to drive junkers to work.   Work was a bad neighborhood where the denizens vandalized the cops' personal cars parked near the police station.