Monday, August 20, 2012

The Black Angel

Years ago a black man knocked on my grandmother's door. 
Are you Ms. Josephine Cain?
No, I'm her sister, Ellen?  What can I do for you?
I work in the insane asylum in Connecticut.
There's a man there who says he's a friend of Miss Josephine Cain.
His nephew had him committed, but he's just old.   Sane enough to me.
He asked me to go find Josephine Cain and ask her to help him.
Thank you, Ellen said, I'll see what I can do.
The old black man lifted his hat, nodded his head and was gone before she could say another word.
She grabbed her own hat and umbrella and headed for the train to Hartford.
When she got there she went to the governor's office and sat in the waiting room until someone would see her.   They released the old friend to her custody and she took him back to New York where she and Josie found him a comfortable place to live out his life.