Monday, June 11, 2012

The Finest People I've Ever Met

My father told me when I was young that the people at Holy Cross would be the finest I'd ever meet. In the years since I graduated, I've travelled the world and met many people, including someone who wanted me to help him run ENRON's financial systems (maybe my Holy Cross education helped me dodge that bullet, but I'd credit my Navy and Alaska sea daddies with teaching me to recognize wild sea stories). Whatever warts Holy Cross might have had, I am certain now that my father was right. This includes not only those like my mathematics professor Peter Perkins, but also my wonderful NROTC mentor who introduced me to Dr. Perkins (read forced me to take calculus).  And many others including football stars like Pete Kimener and Ralphie Lilore who treated even walk-on scrubs with the respect and decency you'd expect from a Holy Cross athlete.